Saturday 11 February 2012

Jiffler Tastes...

The idea behind “Jiffler tastes...” is that I’ll test and taste some of the more interesting food and ingredients I find around Nairobi. They might be everyday store cupboard ingredients, treats for the homesick ex-pat, or something more unusual; the only criteria is that they are made in Kenya – as Jeff Koinange would say: “All Kenyan, all the time”.


Jiffler Tastes... Hummus
These days the average British supermarket stocks over 700 varieties of hummus. It’s the ultimate middle-class comfort food – just open the little plastic pot and shovel it directly into your face with your fingers.  Food jifflers like me tend to prefer the home made option (click here for the recipe for Jiffler’s mint, lime and butterbean hummus), but there is a lot to be said for the potted variety. I think it may be something to do with the combination of salt and preservatives which gives it a certain addictive tang.

Most decent Nairobi supermarkets stock a variety of potted dips manufactured by Green Garden Deli. I get mine from Zucchini at the Junction, where it is generally about 10 bob cheaper than at Nakumatt.



It’s good stuff too, straddling the line between ‘made it myself’ and mass-produced.  Mrs Jiffler and I almost polished off the whole pot while dipping pita bread and steamed asparagus as an appetiser one evening. I finished it off by running my finger around the pot the following lunchtime. You could even conceivably pass this off as home-made – just add a few crushed chickpeas from a tin, a quick slick of olive oil and the gentlest squeeze of a lemon on top. No-one would ever know.

Jiffler Tastes... Pies
While we’re buying ready-made, I’ve been mildly impressed by the bakery section at the larger branches of Nakumatt lately.  Over the Christmas period I regularly picked up one of their mince pies (80 KSHs) for a sneaky afternoon nibble.


Mrs Jiffler makes fantastic mince pies with a delicate pastry, so these shop-bought efforts are very much a ‘quick mince pie for one’ or ‘emergency mince pie’.  I’m holding them responsible as the gateway pie to the real hard stuff. Yes, I have to admit, the meat pies from the hot cabinet (3 for the price of 2) have become something of a guilty pleasure... I know, I know...

Please submit your suggestions for ‘Jiffler tastes...’ in the comments below.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment